Not too sure what the difference is between a curling iron and a curling wand? Find out what the pros and cons are of using a wand
What’s the big difference between a curling iron and curling wand? Well, for the most part, the shape and the clamp. We personally love curling wands for achieving those beachy waves and getting more of a natural looking curl. The problem with traditional curling irons is that you can’t control the amount of pressure the clamp puts on your hair and therefore you tend to get flat looking curls.
Curling Wand Pros
- like curling irons, come in a variety of sizes so you can get tighter or looser curls
- Great for those of you with really curly hair who need to touch up some pieces
- More natural looking curls – if you look at natural curls, they tend to get tighter near the end of the hair
- No clamp marks – you won’t see any lines or marks from the clamp like you do with a curling iron
Curling Wand Cons
- a little more difficult to use on shorter hair or hair with a lot of layers. Because you’re wrapping the hair around the wand and holding it in place by the very ends, some shorter pieces tend to stick out and not get curled.
- you need to either use a heat protecting glove that comes with the wand or be very careful not to burn your fingers
- if you’re like me and like to multitask or enjoy a sip of wine while doing your hair, curling wands create a slight disadvantage since you need both hands at all times.
To be honest, I never use the clamp on my curling irons. Beachy or Victoria’s Secret type waves are my go to looks (check out our Beachy Wave how to & How to Create Victoria’s Secret Hair) and I’ve found that wrapping my hair around the curling iron, instead of using the clamp, gives me the best results. Try this technique and if you love it and don’t plan on using the clamp again, you can turn your curling iron into a curling wand, by removing the clamp. You can check out our simple tutorial on making a Curling Wand.
Another alternative to the curling iron and curling want are Twiddle Stics; one of our favorite styling tools. They’re the shape of a curling want but you use a flat iron to heat up the hair around the stick. Takes a bit more practice but the results are awesome. You can read more about them here: Product Review – Twiddle Stics and below are a couple pics of their results.
And of course, when using any heat tool, you want to properly protect your hair so you don’t wind up like this girl. Check out some tips on how to do just that in our How To Protect Your Hair from Breakage post
Here’s a quick little video on how simple it is to use the curling wand. Of course, the bigger the wand, the looser the curls you get, giving you more of a wave.
If you’re looking to purchase a curling iron or wand, check out this website. They have a great selection and many sizes you can’t find in a store